POSTPONED: Shepaug Dramatics Presents: Big Fish (The Musical)

POSTPONED: FRIDAY MAY 10, at 7:30PM, SATURDAY MAY 11, at 7:30PM, SUNDAY, MAY 12 at 2PM

Henry James, Reporter

Shepaug Dramatics is proud to bring Big Fish to the stage at Shepaug Valley School on Friday, April 5th through Sunday, April 7th. Big Fish is based on Daniel Wallace’s 1998 novel Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions. The musical has been compared to The Wizard of Oz, The Odyssey and Music Man. The story which features flashbacks and tall tales that come to life, quickly caught the attention of American screenwriter John August who adapted the novel for the 2003 film Big Fish. In 2013, John August brought the story to Broadway with music and lyrics by Andrew Lippa. The Broadway production ran for more than 100 performances in 2013. Broadwayworld.com gave the show a regional award for Best Musical. Variety called it “(A) wholly satisfying show: meaningful, emotional, tasteful, theatrically imaginative and engaging.”

The all-student cast and crew will feature a combination of solo and ensemble performances with direction by Timothy DeRosa and choreography by Rebecca Rasmussen. “Big Fish is a moving, indelible story that recounts a father’s fantastical and quirky tall tales he tells to his son, his wife, and anyone who is willing to listen.” “Rebecca and I are thrilled to be working with this dedicated group of students who have been recognized for excellence in High School Theatre at the annual Halo awards ceremony produced by Seven Angels Theatre” says DeRosa, an alumnus of Shepaug Valley School.

Tickets can be purchased through the Box Office by calling 860-717-2444 or in person at the door. All performances will take place in the theatre at Shepaug Valley School, 159 South Street, Washington, CT 06793. Evening performances take place on Friday, May 10th at 7:30PM, Saturday, May 11th at 7:30PM. A matinee performance is scheduled for Sunday,  May 12th at 2PM. General admission tickets are $10. Tickets for Students, Senior Citizens and Veterans are $5.  All proceeds will be used to support future productions of Shepaug Dramatics.